Error 1079 and 1006 after an AD domain rename

Posted on Posted in Uncategorized

After hav­ing some DNS for­ward­ing issues with my inter­nal dev domain and my exter­nal domain name, I decid­ed to rename it from dev.bluey.com to dev.local.

Renam­ing an AD domain isn’t as big a deal as most peo­ple make it out to be.  The rendom.exe com­mand takes care of most every­thing for you.  I did all the usu­al ren­dom /list, ren­dom /upload, ren­dom /prepare, and final­ly ren­dom /execute to actu­al­ly kick off the domain rename.

I noticed after reboot­ing the DC, it hung for a very long time at “Apply­ing Com­put­er Set­tings…”.  I had the same issue with my lap­py after join­ing it to the new domain, it would hang at “Apply­ing Com­put­er Set­tings…” dur­ing boot.  I kept see­ing 1079 and 1006 errors in the event log.  gpupdate.exe showed that my group poli­cies were refus­ing to apply.  dcdiag.exe spewed back more of the same.  Out of des­per­a­tion I tried reload­ing the gpo schema with dcgpofix.exe but still had the same issue.

In the end, I real­ized I for­got to actu­al­ly FINISH the domain rename.  A quick ren­dom /end, gpfix­up, and ren­dom /clean and every­thing worked like mag­ic again.  So in case you’re dumb like me and for­get to com­plete the rename, there ya go…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *